Popularly proclaimed to be one of the most nutrient rich “super foods,” the Acai berry is a tiny fruit that is said to improve one’s overall health and bodily functioning. As the Acai berry contains vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids, along with other nutrients, this fruit is now being referred to as the “miracle berry.”
What is an Acai Berry?
An Acai berry is approximately the size of a blueberry, and is only naturally found in the Amazon Rainforest. As this tiny fruit only grows in the distinctive climate of the Amazon, consumers cannot purchase the Acai berry in its fresh form from local stores; however, the Acai berry can be purchased globally in a variety of other forms, such as:
- Dried fruit form
- Powder form
- Added as an ingredient in other various food products
- Capsule form
In these altered forms, the Acai berry still generally maintains its nutrients and antioxidant benefits; however, consumers should be aware of the quality of the Acai powders and ingredients, as some manufacturers include lower-quality imitation Acai alternatives, which do not provide consumers with all of the higher-quality benefits.
Publicity of the Acai Berry
As diet and food experts are proclaiming the Acai berry to be one of the healthiest foods on the planet, news of the Acai berry’s benefits has been featured on popular news and television shows, such as:
- The Oprah Winfrey Show
- The Today Show
- The CBS Early Show
- Wall Street Journal
- New York Times
Nutrient Benefits of the Acai Berry
- The fruit is loaded with healthy Omega fats, as almost half of the berry is unsaturated fat, containing Omega 3, 6, and 9 fats
- Nearly 8% of the Acai berry contains 19 different amino acids, while also providing consumers with 8 grams of protein in a 100 gram serving of the fruit
- The Acai contains various plant sterols, which helps maintain healthy heart and digestive functions
- The Acai contains approximately 14 grams of fiber in a 100 gram serving
The Acai contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, such as:
- A, B1, B2, C, and E
Health Benefits of the Acai Berry
Consumers of the Acai berry may benefit from health profits such as:
- Increased energy and stamina
- Bodily systems and organs will be supported and maintained
- The promotion of improved sleep and improved immunity
- Anti-inflammatory benefits, including reduced feelings of pain, aches, and soreness
How do I eat the Acai Berry?
Since the Acai berry does not maintain a long shelf-life, and because it is only grown in the Amazon, consumers can purchase the Acai in various freeze-dried and powder forms. According to consumers, the Acai has a berry-like chocolate flavor. This flavor compliments a variety of food products, as it can be added to foods such as smoothies and desserts.