While diet pills are available in both prescription and non-prescription forms, some of the most popular weight-loss supplements are readily obtainable over the counter. These over-the-counter options are usually available with “all natural ingredients,” or contain chemically enhanced compounds to boost weight loss and diet success.
Appetite suppressants are a popular avenue for over-the-counter weight loss assistance. These pills are most commonly considered to be “all natural,” and rarely report any serious side effects from use. Among the most popular appetite suppressants are Hoodia Gordonii and Caralluma.
- Hoodia Gordonii – Hoodia is a natural plant derivative, which grows naturally in semi-desert regions. Historically, people consumed Hoodia in its raw form in order to stave of hunger during long journeys or during times of famine, as Hoodia is said to naturally suppress the appetite. This weight-control supplement works by interrupting the brain’s energy molecule process, so as to effectively inhibit hunger signals in the brain.
- Caralluma – Caralluma is also a natural plant derivative, and is often compared to Hoodia, as this plant was also historically used to prevent hunger during difficult times without accessible food. Also similar to Hoodia, Caralluma interrupts and controls the appetite mechanisms in the brain, resulting in less hunger-pains and food cravings.
Other Diet Pill Options
In addition to the benefits of an appetite suppressant, many diet pills provide consumers with additional benefits, such as increased energy and metabolism. One of the most popular weight loss supplements available without prescription is Alli.
Alli is the only FDA approved over-the-counter weight loss product, and works by preventing fat from being absorbed in the body. Alli claims that if consumers follow their supplement plan paired with diet and exercise, then they can expect to lose approximately 50% more weight than just with diet alone.
In addition to blocking the absorption of fat, consumers report that Alli also provides the following benefits:
- Increased weight loss
- Increased energy
- Results were seen within the first two weeks, and continued for 6 months
- With a lower fat diet, Alli improved the success of weight loss
- Some consumers reported increased feelings of motivation for diet and exercise
While Alli is currently the only FDA approved non-prescription weight loss drug, the most popular and best selling diet pill is Hydroxycut. Hydroxycut contains three main ingredients that are said to boost weight loss, increase calorie expenditure, and improve energy levels. According to clinical trials, Hydroxycut can boost weight loss success by 4.5 times the level of placebo groups.
Hydroxycut is available in three different forms, all of which claim to provide consumers with weight loss benefits:
- Original Hydroxycut – This original formula provides consumers with caffeine for energy, in addition to green tea extract which stimulates the calorie-burning process in the body.
- Hydroxycut 24 – The 24 version is designed to provide users with constant weight-loss benefits, as this formula contains both a morning dosage and an evening dosage. Added benefits to the 24 version include a more restful night’s sleep in addition to ongoing appetite control.
- Caffeine Free Hydroxycut – This formula is stimulant free, so any potential side effects, such as jitteriness or increased heart rate, are reduced.